Originally Posted By: panic
W/r/t "The block appears to be a '51 truck block (JBM) and the head is the 848"

1951 block has 15 head bolts
848 head has 18 head bolts

That is how Jim Carter concluded that the block isn't a '51, it's really a '53-'55 as best he can tell. If you look up in this thread you will see that the J looks like it was stamped on after the fact. M alone would be for a '54, at least from memory a week or two ago, so I think it's possible that it was a '54 that had the J stamped on it.

Jim Carter said you could never bolt a 848 head to a pre-'53 block, that was when they used it on the Corvette as well as passenger cars.

I think I mentioned above that it's a '53-'55 block, when I replied to BOTP, but there's a bit of conflicting info in my thread... whistle But it has to be a Blue Flame Six block to go with the 848 head. The thinking is that Chevy didn't go to the 168 tooth flywheel until '56, when they went to 12 volt. However, by using one of the '53-'55 blocks that would have the 139 tooth flywheel for the 6 volt starter and electrical system that was in the truck. According to this link, M by itself could be for a '54 block.

Casting Codes

Here's the block stamp, which I think you would agree is strange.

This is my believe on what I have. Does that make more sense how I described this?

Got my rewired starter today with the other parts. I'm don't fully understand how the alternator is wired just yet. Seems the number 2 connector gets jumped to the bat post on the rear of the alternator, then the number 1 goes to the ignition. And the wire that used to go from the generator field does nothing and the wire where it went into the voltage regulator and out of the voltage regulator get connected.

I also have 2 voltage reducers, I think one goes from starter to ammeter and one from coil to ignition/points.

Does that sound correct?

I sent some Qs to Jim Carter but I'm pretty sure they are gone for the weekend. I'm gonna get it on but not connected to a battery just yet. I'll replace and/or remove all the bulbs when I do so. I can do that in the meantime while I figure out how to wire it... wink

My rebuilt starter with 12 volt electrical.

12 volt conversion parts, starter, alternator, alternator bracket, coil, voltage reducers.

Last edited by Keroppi; 09/21/19 06:30 AM.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup