Originally Posted By: panic
It's not that the later engine has 3 more bolts, but some of the bolts are in different places.
Lay a gasket over the other engine to see which.

I wish I could but don't have any other engine, this was done by 2 owners before me. 4 owners total including me.

Anyway, I know it's the newer bolt pattern and know this block runs with the 848 head, and also know that the truck is currently 6 volt and has the 4 tpi 9 tooth drive gear that is for the 139 tooth flywheel. I could be off on some things, but the block and head are of the newer style.

What would make my engine correct would be to replace the ring gear on the flywheel with a 168 tooth, and replace the starter I'm putting in the truck with a stock '56 starter, 12 volt wtih a 5 tpi 9 tooth starter drive gear.

Here's a related question. From what I'm learning I can actually eliminate the voltage regulator as there's one in the alternator. Is this true?

I'm guessing the 'field' is negative? the other wire that was on the generator is the armature.

Hmmm...I need to ponder some...f#@$ing electricity is making my brain hurt again...this is supposed to be simple... crazy

EDIT: Hah! Jim Carter directed me to you folks for the wiring. He said he'll try to find out but is not sure exactly. I found the Stovebolt 12 volt conversion page, and it implies the #1 connector goes to either Ignition or Coil->Ignition. Maybe what I have mounts by the coil, and allows for that insertion between alternator and coil...

Alternator->Ignition or Alternator->Coil->Ignition

Dash gauge reducer

(yeah, I know, I ask too many questions...blush)

Last edited by Keroppi; 09/22/19 01:49 AM.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup