BOTP,

The ignition is definitely a monkey wrench, because it seems if you don't have that right, the engine won't turn off when you turn the key off. That somehow has to do with the alternator, and presumably as it supplies the power after the engine is started. That is also true for the starter, so that it knows when to start. But this is true for many components, the ignition tied to the lights, which are tied to the electrical and how the solenoids know they trigger their respective component.

This is to say, although this is a simple engine when compared to the electronics, there is still quite a bit going on for one mind to process...(speaking for mine! blush)

I think that is why it's so confusing to me, trying to understand how it all works, maybe I'm too ANAL in that regard. I appreciate you guys helping, much of it is starting to make sense.

Somehow if the field side of the alternator doesn't get back to the ignition the engine won't turn off. I will see if I can see that, and most likely the center is the place it should be connected already. EDIT: and for extra credit, do the field and the armature sides of the generator/alternator relate to the current as it alternates between phase? (like the stater vs the winding) Is that how it knows to turn the engine off, because the coil doesn't provide the spark any longer? (probably showing more of my ignorance here...blush)

Last edited by Keroppi; 09/22/19 07:20 PM.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup