Originally Posted By: Blackwater
You will need to put a resistor in the power supply wire to the coil!! Many coils on 12V cars are/were 6V coils. The wire from the starter solenoid to the coil supplies 12V for cranking/starting purposes and when the starter disengages the coil circuit will drop back to 6V to run. Many 12V vehicles that get modified and 6V vehicles the get upgraded to 12V have problems starting because builders neglect to run the starter boost wire when they build their ride. Others burn up ignition coils because they have run 12V to a stock style coil that's designed for 6V operation.

Blackwater,

This is a bit different than I was thinking, so bear with me.

I looked at my coil yesterday when I was down where my truck is. There's a wire going to the ignition/distributor and one wire that goes back to the Ammeter.

Don't I want to put the reducer between the coil and distributor? I believe that is the coil out?

I'm not exactly sure what the Ammeter does, it seems to allow voltage to travel both ways depending on the system state, since the coil is getting current from the Ammeter, AFAIK.

The one piece I'm trying to understand is where exactly this voltage reducer goes that I have?

Last edited by Keroppi; 09/23/19 04:15 PM.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup