Made some progress today, but before I flip the key, I want to make sure I have things correct.

First I needed to refurbish a 12volt battery, so I got some epsom salt and distilled water and made some homebrew electrolyte...drained and replaced and charged at 12v 60amps, and it was holding 12.62.

NOTE: this is a good time to toss some salt into my wounds with a bit of irony...you can barely see the left meter on my battery charger behind the cables is a voltmeter, but the right meter is an ammeter. There has to be some irony in there wtih the 6v->12v conversion, given the generator used an ammeter and the alternator is better suited to a voltmeter. I actually bought this for the 6v capability, I didn't have one. $50 on craigslist. wink

I got the generator out, that old piece was pretty grungy around the bracket...LOL no worries...I cleaned it up with a wire brush.

I didn't get a pic of the alternator though, I needed to use a couple washers with the bracket to line up the belt properly. Used the same belt that the generator used.

I think I'll replace the belt, but the old one is on there for now.

Ok, the alternator connector 1 is looped to the battery post, I connected the old armature wire from the generator to the battery post as well.

I disconnected all the field and armature wires, and connected the armature wire to the bat terminal and checked everything with a volt meter before and after. Now the battery post of the alternator goes to the ammeter and then to the battery post on the starter, which goes to the + on the battery.

Looking for some feedback here. Here's the new coil, although it's loose in the holder, I will fix that, and you can kinda sorta tell that the 2 right connectors on the old voltage regulator and disconnected, but the middle one was the armature, and it's now going to the alternator battery post.

Per the conversation above with 'stock and 'beater, the coil - is going to the distributor, and the the positive is going to the reducer, which I mounted off the volt meter, and the other side goes to the ammeter, at least I'm believe it is as that was how it was wired for 6volt.

The one wire I don't have connected is the number 2 connector from the alternator. I was thinking this needs to go to the ignition. Is that correct?

I also have the fuel gauge reducer to install in addition to confirming the wiring and connecting the number 2 connector of the alternator.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup