Originally Posted By: stock49
You cannot simply connect the old ARM wire to the Bat terminal on the alternator.

Sure I can! I think you may have misunderstood. I used the armature wire, but I'm only using the wire in the harness to run from the battery post on the alternator to the battery out on the voltage regulator. It's not using the voltage regulator. As I mentioned I will just crimp a coupler connector and remove the voltage regulator all together, but it's not being used as both the armature wire running from the alternator and the line going out of the voltage regulator are using the out as a common post to connect. It's only a wire! The voltage regulator is not being used at all.

The Bat terminal on the alternator needs a path to the battery. As we discussed above – that path could be through the Ammeter or via entirely new wire.

If I'm not mistaken, the battery out from the voltage regulator actually goes through the ammeter to the battery. If you look at the wiring diagram for a 1946 truck the wire goes from the voltage regulator battery out to the ammeter, to the starter, to the battery.

I recommend that you spend some time reading and/or studying YouTube videos on how the GM 3-wire alternator functions in its native home a - 64-72 GM car/truck. It is important to get your head around an electrical project before undertaking it. It’s even more important when the project involves adapting a newer component into an older vehicle.

I agree and I did watch several videos, but think you misunderstood what I was saying. Sorry if I confused you.

I'm only using the wire, I could have just as easily used the field wire, it also went from the generator to the field in on the voltage regulator, I could have used it and moved it over and connected to the battery out wire also.

There are better places to pick up ‘key-on’ 12 volts behind the dash. Moreover, the exciter wire provides the ‘fault’ light feature. There are simple ‘jewel indicator lights’ readily available that can be mounted in or under the dash.

Yes, this is what I was explaining above, most run the field to the ignition switch, otherwise the engine won't turn off when you turn the key off.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup