Originally Posted By: Keroppi

Surprised that nothing in the shop manual explains how to get the gauge cluster out. I've been told there are a couple bolts on the back side, but I haven't been able to get to them yet.

EDIT: in case anyone reads this in the future, the voltage reducer/resister goes to the (E)mpty side of the fuel gauge. And both posts will show continuity, just different levels as it will pass through the gauge, so I was told. Steve at Jim Carter Truck Parts agreed with my assessment, that a wire should be connected to the sender on top of the gas tank, and that I should ground one of the screws to be safe.

Shouldn't have take the gauge cluster out. You can get to all the wires through the service hatch in the firewall.

Glad to hear that you have a service manual in hand. It describes how to trouble shoot the fuel gauge. In particular one cannot test continuity in the sender wire while it is attached to the gauge and the sender.

That looks like a plastic tank. If so the ground wire to the sender body is a must.