Originally Posted By: stock49
That looks like a plastic tank. If so the ground wire to the sender body is a must.

stock,

You're right, that is a plastic tank. I thought I thumped it before and it was steel, but it is plastic, it's hard, but it's plastic. There is nothing connected to either the tank in the rear or the tank under the seat, so I figured it was probably safe to try and fire it up.

I connected a battery and it cranked really strong, but it didn't fire. I looked and I have the negative side of the coil going to the distributor, and the top of the coil going to the top of the distributor, but I didn't check to make sure those cable plugs are seated inside well, so I will do that tomorrow. I wasn't sure if I had the coil connected backwards, but looking online it looks like the negative side does go to the distributor, or am I wrong?

As a data point, the light is on that is connected to the ignition from the alternator, and it dims a lot when it's cranking, but doesn't go out completely, but I think that is normal until the alternator is running faster with the engine.

The positive side of the coil is going to the voltage reducer and then to the ammeter, I believe, that was the wire that was connected to the coil previously. I don't think it matters what side the wires go on for that voltage reducer, it looks like a resistance spring of some type. I will ask that to Jim Carter.

Seems it must be those coil connections from the top of the coil, I will try to go back and look at that tomorrow.

FWIW, I had breakfast with the Bay Area Inliners in Milpitas, and we drove down to Aroma, between Gilroy and Watsonville, lots of cool cars at a HUGE show there and the owner of the shop there had some really cool Inliners...one was a really cool old race car with a 235 hemi in it and a Wayne head. He had a second Wayne head, I was told those are used by people that race Inliners.

I will check those coil connections and see if I can get spark at the spark plug. One nice thing about the floor starter, you can do that from inside the engine compartment. wink

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup