Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Congratulations !

beater,

Not exactly just yet, although getting closer...the problem is definitely fuel related, but it is the air cleaner and carb itself. I see some gas is leaking at the base of the carb, and it wouldn't start with the air filter on it, so that needs to be upgraded to dry possibly...it's dry now, but supposed to have oil in it...

I could get it started by taking the air filter off, then I got a backfire when giving it some gas so turned it off. Then I noticed some gas around the base of the carb...that will need to be rebuilt. Got a new battery in, replaced the fuel bubble filter, but the carb seems to be a weak point.

I had this pic, but the number is gunked up...so will need to go down and clean it and get the model so I can get the right kit. I see a place online that has a complete kit with all parts and screws needed, but will get model to know for certain. Evidently some Carter YFAs are marked as YFs after they transitioned. Model number should be right above the casting on the bottom, along that flat.

Unfortunately as I work though getting it going reliably, I'm running into some of the basic maintenance that hasn't been done on this for years... blush

EDIT: Hmmm...interesting...I was trying to clean the carb up on the side to see if there was a model number hiding under there, but no...as I was doing that I thought to possibly just take the carb off the truck and bring it home and I noticed the mounting nuts were not very tight at all. This could account for the gas I saw around the base. I will check that when I get back down there, I had to swap the battery, and have that out already. I bought a 24F (negative on left side) which is correct, but the post running from the firewall to the front grill/radiator rests on the negative post...I didn't want to cross the cables to the battery, so returned it...but I didn't have a battery in it to test. whistle

Last edited by Keroppi; 10/28/19 09:12 PM. Reason: carb pics and loose mounting nuts on carb

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup