Originally Posted By: stock49
On Carter's the model number is found on tag affixed by a top cover screw:

'stock,

I don't have that, but I do have a label of some type that it is probably on. I will look at that and see if I can clean that off. If you look at this pic, that label on the left must have something under the grime.

I was so focused on looking in that area where it shows "stamped"...and I also saw on a site that some are stamped on the small wing (I think on the right).

That said, I really suspect the loose nuts were a part of the backfire and/or leaky gas out the bottom of the carburetor. I will try to get back down there tomorrow and check, I have the new battery in hand. Thanks for the info, will update when I find out more.

EDIT: stock, I think your image you posted is the carburetor that is supposed to be on my engine. However, I think the previous owner that swapped the engine in used the Carter YF that was on the 216 that was originally in the truck. The Carter 3211 YF was evidently designed for the later 235, so I have read. What is the difference, do you know? Is it the needle or valve?

Last edited by Keroppi; 10/29/19 12:34 AM. Reason: 216/235 differences for carbs

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup