Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
You can search for vacuum leaks by squirting some of your starting fluid on the carb base and the intake to head gasket while the engine is running. Any change in engine speed means a leak. Some fuel leakage on carb my go away when the gaskets soak up some moisture after sitting dry for so long.

I will do that, just to eliminate any problems. That goes for the fuel pump also, I see some oil possibly around the block that I was sure if was wet or not...it looks pretty dry now and seems to work enough to get it running reliably. Fixing the air filter problem will help that.

Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
When you are changing the fuel pump bolt out the lines. A filter between your new pump and the tank might save it.

I have to give a big thanks to Jim Carter once again. He's selling me a used glass top fuel pump at a great price. I'm going to get a hard line to go to my carb and he has the filter that goes inline up by the carb. The one I have requires a separate hose to connect it, this will be cleaner. Also getting an dry air filter which should fit in the old oil canister. It's 6-1/2" in diameter x 3" tall. I'm waiting for him to reply but think I can just pull the oil mesh top portion out and put this in and use a top plate with a wing nut. Then I only have one other piece to replace, that going from the fuel pump to the gas tank. Mine has some mickey mouse hillbillary used on that piece... blush

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup