Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Custom and new replacement part is code talk for Chinese knock off. Finding someone who can "fix" a worn or broken part or make a missing one is becoming very rare.

Indeed that is more important for me as I plan to keep most things original, but one never knows what the future will bring to me...Maybe better stated would be era correct, as I am not adverse to putting better parts on my truck.

As an example, I was pondering over the electric fuel pump and I think in the future something I would consider is using 2 tanks, each with their own electric fuel pump and have a toggle switch on the dash to flip the power between each fuel pump. This is how my flat bed is setup from the factory, it has 2 tanks. My ultimate plan would be to add a saddle tank under the bed and refurb/replace the tank under the seat, that would give some decent range of mileage the truck is capable of driving.

I think 'mick makes a valid point though, it is harder to find people to work on an Inline 6 than it is a V8. More importantly, these shops that call themselves "Custom" don't make "Custom" parts most of the time, they just add aftermarket parts...A lot of folks swap a V8 in their beloved trucks, so that does happen also...I just don't see myself going into such complex conversions and will most likely stick with what I have in it right now. I drool at some of the pics mick posts, but I certainly can't afford to do something like that at the moment. I'm actually lucky to have the truck, given I'm trying to build a house that has pretty much drained my entire savings and has put me into even more debt than I had... whistle

The local Bay Area Inliners were a great bunch of folks to meet, and even mentioned a couple places that will do work on these beasts if one desires...but a lot of the fun for me is in doing it myself, even if it takes me 4 times as long to do so. These old trucks are a heck of a lot easier to work on than their modern counterparts... wink

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup