Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
I have a '68 C-20 flatbed

Yeah, I'd really like to get an old Chevy flatbed, but I have too many things on my plate at the moment, and I will be content with the 1/2-ton. I was looking at a '46 flatbed to use as a flat bed, but finally realized I am much better off with a 1/2 ton, that's really what I want to drive around. Most of the time I just haul light stuff.

The V8 died a few weeks ago so now I can build the 292 L6 I've been planning for years.

Do keep us posted on this, would like to see some pics if you have...I had a '64 C-10 when I was young, bought it in Oregon from an old farmer...had a gun rack inside the rear window, as most every truck did in those days (late '70s). I was sure sorry when I sold it, I bought a VW van, ran the oil out and seized it up on the freeway...was left with nothing...LOL The guy I sold it to put about $3k into it and made it a kick @$$ work truck... blush

It is however a survivor and mostly the changes that have been made were done to keep it doing what it was built to do and make it a better truck. If you continue along those lines you won't go wrong.

Exactly, and that is what I was after in the end. I was wanting to buy a '42, was restored in pristine condition, but had a 235 with a Fenton dual intake and the rear end changed. Really nice truck, but wasn't working and no cash...after I got a job I was working 50 hour weeks and ended up with enough cash in pocket to buy what I have. My wife wasn't happy as the first one was really nice, it was also $23k. I paid $8.5k for the one I have, so quite a difference...

About the brushed on paint, a friend in high school bought a '47-'48 Chevy woody. The metal was brush painted black and the wood was thickly brushed pink. We made fun of him until we helped strip the paint from the wood. It was near perfect. It was one of the nicest woodies around and he got it for almost nothing. By the way in the beginning they were all brush painted.

I am going to try and take the brushed on paint off, eventually. I kinda like it the way it is for the time being. I need to decide what to do about the rust and how to best get it cleaned up, but would like to see if I can remove the top rustoleum and spray clear matte over it. And before that I will most likely swap the ring/pinion over. I have a lot to do, but just takin' one piece at a time.

This is not original either, it has a newer 235 in it with the Fenton and the nice interior, the VCCA would frown on that... smirk

The way I got my wife to agree to me buying a truck, she says I tricked her...but I told her this was like buying a brand new 1942 truck, and that $23k was not a lot of money. I was planning to drive it as my daily driver. I told her with proper maintenance I didn't think I could wear it would in the rest of my life.

Keroppi is like the poor man's version of this truck...some assembly and TLC required... grin

Last edited by Keroppi; 11/04/19 03:57 AM. Reason: attaching pics of the '42! Oooh-La-La!

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup