Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
I had a '40 pickup many years ago. I don't remember where the battery was. I thought yours be be like the ADs under the floor on the passenger side close to the starter. The access door has a loop handle that you turn to latch and un latch and it comes completely out. I'm going to use one of them on my '26 roadster.

beater,

This is one area where they improved a number of annoying characteristics of the AK Series when they moved to the AD. On the AK Series, the floor is one large piece that spans the drivers and passenger area, so it's not as easy to open. The battery is in a tray under the passenger floor, I believe the same place as the AD. Even with the battery mounted on the firewall, there's still a crap load of room to work on the engine.

Another area they improved was to be the access panel on the driver's side firewall so you can access the back of the dash without having to contort into a pretzel. They also removed some of the cool features that I personally like, such as the crank out windshield, but arguably the solid window is a much more stable design, as is the top opening hood, it is those features that drew me to the AK Series. I wouldn't mind having an Ak Series 'burb, those are pretty darn cool...

My fuel pump is in the Jacuzzi...

And being the bottom feeder that I am, I picked up this vintage set of flaring and swagging tools with a pipe/tube cutter and simple bender. $26 on Ebay.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup