Originally Posted By: TraditionalToolworks
Well, I thought I had what I needed, but the hard line doesn't fit the carb, either need to get an adapter fitting or a different line...

I am also not sure if I need hard line or not, the auto parts store told me that you can only run so much distance with a rubber line.

The hard-line from the pump to the carburetor is a double flared compression fitting. The inlet into the carburetor is pipe threads. One typically finds a brass fitting that copes between the two (it is the same on the pump side).

There is nothing wrong with using sections of rubber in a fuel circuit. They are great for adapting to inline fuel filters or even an inline electric fuel pump. But they are used as transitions - flexible sections, etc. The majority of the run from the tank to the fuel pump should be hard-lines that are firmly attached to the frame.

Based on your on-again off-again experiences (with the fuel system on this truck) my hunch is that you have contaminants in the bottom the fuel tank that are getting pulled into the line and plugging it. I would pull the tank and clean it thoroughly.

With the clean tank you can install a new line to the pump and know that the path between is clear. Given that the tank is in the bed - the line you need is not stock. One can buy copper-nickle alloy tube (cunifer). It is super easy to bend and flare.

Fabricate yourself a custom hard-line from the tank to the pump. I would include an inline filter close to the tank (but in a place that is easy to service).