Originally Posted By: stock49
Sounds like you're dealing with plumbing that depends on siphon action. Not sure why it is plumbed that way. Are there no outlets in the bottom of the tank?

The stock fuel system is built around gravity feed. The tank outlet is higher then the fuel pump. The pumps only job is to lift fuel to the carb.

Ah, this reminds me of something I've seen online, where the fuel lines need to be primed before using. I am pretty sure that's the way this tank is setup, with siphon action, otherwise why wouldn't they have used the bottom outlet? I believe the answer is because there is no bottom outlet. I will look. I'm also pretty sure that priming the system is most likely needed as there would be a lot of air in the system. I've seen some guys suck on the fuel line until fuel is obtained and spit out what's in their mouth...doesn't sound too tasty to me...but maybe if I had some water at hand and rinse out my mouth well, it might be tolerable.

Originally Posted By: stock49
Your buddy is correct. Inline electric fuel pumps 'push' fuel. And they aren't good a dry starting a siphon. They expect gravity to deliver fuel - which they in turn push forward and up to the carb.

Exactly, I think this is my problem. $64k question is what is needed to prime the system and get fuel filled in the lines? I'll need to read...of course the other option is just convert to the electric fuel pump and let it push the fuel to the carb.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup