Originally Posted By: stock49
The good news is that the 'wrong' color is light. I have read several threads over the years about guys changing the color of leather upholstery. Here's one from the H.A.M.B. Seems a product called SEM is the to one look into . . . apparently it's a spray on.

That doesn't look too difficult, although I thought it was cloth as the 2nd pic is of the under/back of the seat which is cloth. But it doesn't look bad at all, and beige does go with the green, so would leave me open to doing the inside of the interior in a beige/cream or green...the beige might even go with the black. I'm gonna put it in first before I dye it.

I was just looking over the SEM site and they have a lot of products, but not really clear which one is for dying leather. I also looked around the Fiebings site, I've used their saddle soap on some leather work I've done. They were mentioned in that thread also, but SEM seems to be the brand of choice in that thread.

A nice deal for free, the guy had a beautiful home on the water up in Discovery Bay. Turns out it came out of a Suburban which his son sold...so I misunderstood him on the phone, but it's in nice shape.

EDIT: stock, after reading on HAMB in the few threads over there about refinishing a seat. I'm more than happy with this acquisition. I mean, how can you be unhappy with a free seat? wink it was a beautiful day to drive out and pick it up. smile But if I do ever want to turn it black, it looks easy enough, and it's CHEAP for the dye. Thanks for that tip!

Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 12/29/19 05:18 PM. Reason: SEM looks easy enough

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup