I'm getting ready to rebuild a 250 that was pulled from what was claimed to be a running '70 C10. I actually bought it for some other parts, but now I'm wanting to rebuild it and swap it with the 250 that's in my '70.

I'd like to keep the rebuild under $1500 or so, if I can. My current 250 has a 2bbl Holley on a Transdapt adapter on a stock intake and Hedman headers and I plan to reuse those. Until the shop mics the cylinders, I don't know if I can get by with honing or if they'll need to be bored. Same with the crank, etc.

I'm looking for suggestions to get what additional performance I can without blowing the budget. I'm allotting about $700 for basic machine work right now (tanking, cylinder boring, line boring, crank grind, decking, connecting rod pressing, etc). If I do have to replace pistons, what brand and model? Should I go ahead and replace the camshaft, and if so, something with a slightly more aggressive grind? I saw that 12bolt.com has a cam, but at $700, that'll wreck my budget. Also thinking about a lump kit, although for that to be effective, It seems I need to go to 1.94/1.60 valves (that's about a $200 kit with seats, etc).

I'd really like to hear the thoughts of you that have some experience with this. I'd like to pick up what performance I can on my budget, but I know there's no way I'm hitting 400 HP without spending a LOT more. In a perfect world, a recipe would good. X pistons, Y cam, Z valves, do this, do that smile

Thanks!