1. No, I think a later carrier and gears can be bolted to the old housing. It may be better to find a rear end for open drive line. It will have better brakes as well.
2. You will only need the right U-joint to fit both the T-5 yoke and the driveshaft.
3. I don't think that adapter has anything to do with the closed drive line. I think it adapts the S-10 T-5 to the original bell housing '46. Since your truck has a 325 you may have a later bell housing and transmission? Some later transmissions can be adapted from closed to open driveline by using a different rear plate. I used a open 4 speed trans in an closed driveline by doing this. A T-5 from a Camaro will bolt to your '55 bell housing with out an adapter. You would have to trim 3/8" from the pilot bushing area of the input shaft.
4. The clutch issue would be in matching the spline on the transmission input shaft to the center of the clutch plate. Some T-5s use a standard GM clutch spline I don't know if they can be swapped. I was able to find a clutch plate that worked with my stock pressure plate. Sorry I don't remember what it is. To use an 11" clutch plate you would likely have to change the flywheel and get the right pressure plate.

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 07/06/21 04:11 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain