Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
I think you are on the right track. That'll make things easier. The T-5 conversion will be easier. If a 3 speed OD would work for you you have some options there too.

It probably could work but would requiring cutting down the driveshaft. I might need to do that with that one, that I'm not sure.

Anything that is better than direct drive (i.e., 1:1 ratio) would be an improvement. I am not sure what gears are in that rear end, but will find out tomorrow morning. My initial goal would be to swap out the rear axle and pull my torque tube, then remove my 3 speed. I believe I have the later bell housing, but if needed I got one with the '55 parts. Once the open driveshaft and rear end are in, when I get a T5 it will drop right in, sans the length difference on the input shaft (commonly known problem which I'm sure you know about). I was supposed to get some pics of a 1352-145 which has a .72 5th. That's 28% lower RPMs no matter how you look at it.

Imagine the seller did get the pics before the weekend like he said... whistle

Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
The T-5 may be easier.

And it is the best choice, IMO, those T5s are bullet proof. I think it would be the best choice of the possibilities. wink

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup