Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
So the T-5 will drop it to 1950 rpm. Where does you engine produce it's best efficiency? The cam in my 270 loves 3,000 and I have to pay attention to keep it from going there.

That's a very good question and I don't have an answer to that. I just know that I have more power and the tires are about the same size of original. I currently have 235/xxr15 radials (can't remember the ratio) which is almost the same size diameter as the original 650r16s or 600r16s, the original tires
GM shipped with them.

I'm not entirely sure where the noise is coming from, but I suspect some is from the torque tube front bushing being wallowed out, and possibly low oil in the trans.

With my tires, 3.55 gears and T-5 3,000 is 90 mph.

If I could get to 90, I'd be doing the snoopy dance. smirk

2,000 rpm is 60 mph but it doesn't pull well there. So 2,200-2,500 IS 70-75 mph and I got right at 17 mpg.

I think I would drive it quite a bit if I could get that type of mileage. I have a little 2WD Tacoma with a 2.4L that gets me about 23 on the highway. And the flat bed, let's not talk about that...8 mpg when towing... shocked

It sounds like you are getting in there, in that range of efficiency. I think tire size is the last adjustment.

Let's face it, the biggest gain is from both the r/p and the overdrive. With both, most of the problems are resolved. wink

If you do either by themselves, it still leaves problems on the highway. In the future I might not be in a position to get a T5, who knows, so while I can I want to get one.

Yeah, they sure seem to go for more $$$s than they're worth, but the T5 is just about the best Transmission to put in these old beasts it seems. To me, the T5 seems like the right transmission. smile

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup