Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Not like a "Granny" gear but low. You'll get used to it.

I once drove a '42 with the 4 speed tranny, what a frickin' dog...even 2nd gear is pretty low also. I thought it was useless driving on regular roads, and the truck was fully restored.

Made some progress today. First bill of order, loose the bell housing. I noticed this trans has support arms on it, I had first thought maybe it was from a 4WD, but after I get it off, I realized this bell housing is aluminum, my '55 series 2 bell housing is cast iron. Maybe that's why the supports were added. I wonder when that happened? There was some interesting changes happening around '93, Ford created what they call the T5z, a hopped up WC T5 for the mustang, and somehow GM seems to have used those changes as well. Lots of silicone sealer all over, gives me the feeling it's been rebuilt and someone has been in there, but gears feel good and smooth. A tad of end play on the input shaft but I think I can shim that out.

Then I separated the tail shaft, saving the shifter lever, pin, spring and ball bearing.

Here's the 5th gears, they look good:

Close up shot:

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup