Made only a little bit of progress, works has me up to my neck in problems... whistle

Tail shaft should be here tomorrow, got a notice from UPS that it will arrive tomorrow.

I saw someone saying they passed $2k in doing a T5 conversion, and I started to add things up, with a rebuild kit, which I think I should do at this point, I'm up to about $1275. That's only the trans, and I bought the trans for $350 ($200 for adapter plate, $300 for tail shaft conversion w/tax/ship, and $125 for a new clutch disc I will need to get). crazy I have another $200 in the rear axle, $50 in the driveshaft, and let's not forget about $300 for the ring/pinion. The rebuild kit for the WC is $300, unlike the NWC which is about $100. Still, I feel the WC is the better transmission. In this regard I would still have $975 into the transmission if I didn't rebuild it, and truth be told, if I rebuild this T5, I will most likely last the rest of my life, or however long I have my '46. I might as well do it right.

The bottom line is that this will be one of the best improvements I can do to the '46 after it's all said and done. At least in the sense of making it drive able on the highways without dropping a V8 in it, an auto trans, and a new front clip, etc...that's not what I'm after.

EDIT: Oddly, the manager for Transparts Wharehouse, located in Redding, CA. They offer a WC rebuild kit that has Japanese Koyo, SKF or Nachi. The other thing I liked was that they use the OE Tremec synchros, those are the newer carbon fiber lined synchros which are supposed to be superior to all others. Includes all parts, including the spring clip that holds the reverse mechanism to the side of the case (inside that rounded torque head that doesn't come out).

Transparts Wharhouse WC rebuilt kit

Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 07/28/21 03:45 AM. Reason: Bought rebuild kit after hearing from manager

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup