Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Moving stuff in and around the shop today so I can bring home the chassis table we built at Bruce;s place. I found a lot more parts to de-rust.

Beater,

That sounds pretty cool, is that a long table that you can put the chassis on to work up higher? I've seen people using rotisseries made for chassis.

Someday I hope I can have a lift in my garage. Gets old crawling around under a car/truck on jack stands...Bruce seemed to help you out a bunch on that project, it's a shame that it ends so quick like that...I'm sure it's still a shock to 'ya.

I'll be honest, I never really looked at too many roadsters, but that Chevy body is so much cooler than any of the Fords. That body really has nice lines on it. That's a damn cool project...just not sure I'm ready for something like that yet.

To kind of keep on track, here's the progress I've made recently...

I used a bearing/race set to remove the front counter shaft race out of the case, a few swift wacks popped it out of there. The bearings and races are Timken that were in here, I'm replacing with Koyo, if that matters. I'm ok with that as Timken is not all made in the U.S. anymore, and quality is going into the toilet. I recently got Timken seals made in China. frown

I cleaned up the surfaces with my 2" scotch brite pad in a cordless drill.

I was able to tear the case down without a press, so far. But I will need to use my press to get the gears and bearings off the counter and main shafts both. The way I got the counter shaft out was like this...once the rear race was out I could pull the counter shaft up by sliding it over the idler, just enough to raise the rear bearing enough that I could get a bearing splitter under it, and was able to use 2 jaws on bearing puller to barely get under the bearing splitter in 2 of the recesses of the case. Then I held the center rod as I used my cordless impact wrench to pop it off. I will need to destroy the front bearing to get it off, no other way to do that, but so far all parts removed intact.

I still need to clean the outside of the case, and I'm going to go up to the auto parts store and get some of the Dupli-Color primer.

PS - this is still too difficult to resize the pics, go into the photo library, upload the pics, create a post and use those links. We must make it easier to use these Inliners International Forums.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup