Originally Posted By: TraditionalToolworks
------------------ reply from Jim Carter ---------------
Alan, Engine block#3835911 is on a Pickup from 1954-55 and began in 1953 in the Corvette and passenger car with a Power Glide transmission. (This has modern insert bearing rods as do engines in vehicles today.) The head is from 1955-62. ALL you are using is from a 235 engine, not a 216. These very early 235's used a 6 volt system. Thus, the flywheel has the number of teeth used in a 6 volt. I can only assume the 3836848 head gives the extra compression to make it more difficult for a 6 volt battery and starter. Jim C
------------------ reply from Jim Carter ---------------

Digging my thread up as I just found an interesting piece of information on the '53 235.

As mentioned above by Jim Carter, the Corvette had the newer block in '53, but I noted this earlier on the Wikipedia site that in '53, the Bel Air shipped with a higher 115HP powered 235 with hydraulic lifters. This was evidently the same as the '53 Corvette "Blue Flame". This would have provided plenty of blocks from 1953 that would fit the '54-'62 heads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Bel_Air

Has to be true, it's on Wikipedia, right? blush In '53 even though they had hydraulic lifters, the HP went up to 115HP. The later engines were 135HP. That's more than 50% more powerful than the original 85HP 216 that came in my '46.

This would better explain how my engine was put together. I don't think it was an original '53 as it has a newer head on it. I also don't think it was a Corvette engine. The guy who put it together definitely knew what he was doing, and picked the parts specific. I think that would be Clarence Little from NC, he was the 2nd owner. I think he bought the truck in '83.

Originally Posted By: stock49
Also, here's a nice write up from a bike mechanic about Ammeter function: Ammeter Ethic @themotorcycleproject his bucket analogy is easy to get one's head around:

I just read through this again, and this is an XLNT document on how the ammeter works. At least makes it understandable for me. Thanks again for a great link stock49! smile

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup