Ok, the reason is because of a couple things. First, the carrier is spun with this bolt shown above hidden in front. Everything is disoriented inside the rear end, and there are two pieces that hold the bearing race in, but those are unscrewed from the axle, so the half shafts are engages, but the stuff is not spinning freely. Lots of rust goop inside.

Got the front diff cover and pinion off.

Here's the pin, spider gears and center block (with the nuts to hold the cover on. I need a couple new nuts, they look like standard castle nuts.

Lastly, here you can see how the bearings, races and whatever you call the pieces that screw into the axle to hold the race, are all out of disarray.

I can manually lift and rotate the carrier, need to check on the circlips that hold the bearings on, inside the cage. NOTE: Crap, I just though I caused this myself by removing the caps above. But the front cover has a set of caps on it, but the rears are the ones that are removed. The rear does in fact have to come off first.

PS - ring gear is 39, pinion is 10, the stock 3.90:1, which is good. The 3.38:1 replacements I have will only work in this axle with this gear ratio I'm told by Joe at Mother Trucker Truck.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup