Today was a rough day, but getting back on track. I'm pretty certain the bearings the counter moron at O'Reilly's ordered will definitely not fit, I'll probably need to get them from Jim Carter...no rush. Started to clean the axle, but thinking to swap out the pinion and finish up with the T5. I probably should have focused on the T5 first, but wanted to start tearing down the axle so I could see what parts were needed. I have a full rebuild kit for the T5.

I got the new ring gear on, which took much persuasion from a 3 lb. Garnet rawhide, some tapping and using the impact wrench. I didn't put any thread locker in, but will take each one out and add some locker and tighten to 80 ft. lbs. My impact is much higher, but the drill/driver couldn't handle it. This 1/2" cordless impact is turning out to be quite the nut cracker, for lack of a better analogy...cracks 'em in and out.

Here's the stamp on the new ring gear:

And here's the old ring gear stamp.

EDIT: I just googled for the Hyatt 159286Z on the race and get the bearing and race for $26, and for 2 of them w/shipping it's about $75 less than Jim Carter...It is less than half. The part is made by Timken, as it was originally, at least the timken numbers that these match. They ship from Reno also, so I should get them fairly quick. (<cough> UPS ground). I've always been amazed how much bearings vary in price. Per the page, the bore matches my bearing and the outer diameter matches also. The new Timken part is made in <cough> China. These might be also, but the Hyatt stuff is made in America, I believe. BTW, National Wheel Bearings are made in Japan. That's a good thing, IMO.

Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 08/22/21 08:40 AM. Reason: Update

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup