Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
You are shaming me into doing a better job of paint prep on my engine & transmission assembly. laugh

Bah, don't be. Since I got my truck I've wanted to take it over to a place that steam cleans cars/trucks, I've had them do 2 of my vehicles in the past, and it is amazing how the under carriage looks when they get done. In this case I don't want to drive my truck that far, and to tow it over is a PITA also.

My truck has so much gunked up on the transmission and bell housing and just the axles and under carriage, pedals, both axles, et al, is covered with gunk and old grease on it. I've been looking for a pressure washer, but a friend told me you need 5000 psi to be effective, and I haven't seen any deals on them, and most are more like 2500-3500 psi that I see for sale on craigslist. I will need to get it all cleaned before I replace all the rubber in the steering system. Ball joints and all the rubber, rubber in the leaf springs, it will all need to be changed out. I think leaf spring front rubber bushings will need to be changed.

Most all of the changes I would like to make are not actually visible on the exterior, stuff like better fuel system, better brakes, sound system, removable nav system, seat, etc...this is not really stuff you see.

I haven't even decided what to do with the Axle, but am still planning the Rust Doctor if I can get a good coating of rust after cleaning the axle. I may just clean and paint it, not sure. If I use the wire wheel it pretty much gets it down to clean metal, brushing the rust off.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup