Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
You are beyond me at this point. I had one of these apart about 20 years ago.

Beater,

The reason I'm showing this stuff is that many DIY folks do not possess all of the tools that others may have. Part of the problem in disassembling the T5 is removing the gears from the shafts, this includes the cluster, the main shaft and the input shaft. Maybe this will help to give some folks an idea on how to go about it if you don't have a hydraulic press. I'm certain this is moot for many more knowledgeable who have done this before, even 20 years ago. You would still need to tap the other side out with a dead blow. By other side I mean the other side of the main shaft. There are 1st and a slider with a synchro. WC has needle bearings under the gears along with lined synchros. Hopefully that makes sense to you. The inside of the slider, which is between 1st and 2nd I believe, is not removed. It stays on.

EDIT: The bearing puller didn't work. I will need to dig out the hydraulic press... whistle

Previous person put this clip on backwards, small side should go out so you can get the tips in the remover. Notice how the ring pliers are facing the wrong side to remove...it's out now and I damaged one of the tips, it was a tad challenging to remove.

And that is to say this flimsy springy clips is not only difficult to get out of there (use 2 tiny screwdrivers to let you pry around and get it out), but they are known to cut people as well. Be careful with this one.

I will dig the hydraulic press out now as I don't want to beat too hard on the main shaft with a deadblow, I tried but was starting to hit harder than I like.

Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 09/12/21 05:21 PM. Reason: bearing puller *DID* work for one side

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup