Ok, thinking what panic mentioned to me a week or so back, keep doing this and it will get easier. Lucky I didn't break the gear on the countershaft, I did kill my Harbor Freight 12-ton import hydraulic press...maybe a good opportunity to get a better press and get rid of this crap I paid $25 for. I know why the guy only charged $25 now...but to be fair, I've used it for at least a half dozen projects. I ripped it up pretty good with a 3' pipe used as a breaker bar... whistle

I tried to heat the bearing with my map torch, but no go...then a friend suggested I use a tig torch to heat it on the race itself...and when I went out I realized I had killed the press...so I went to his house and he started to press it on his press and something just didn't seem right, the videos I saw showed them destroying the bearing and using the top of the race to pull it off the shaft...I told him I wonder if none of those gears come off...so we used a couple small pry bars and whola, it came off.

Lesson in all this, counter shaft only has the bearing on it. Nothing else comes off. I would have been buying a new counter shaft had I busted this one...whew...ok panic, I learned another piece, but I'm gonna have to trust you that this stuff will get easier, I hope you're right! wink Luckily I have a fair amount of tools, otherwise I would probably be breaking more stuff...that could have cost me a countershaft, about $150 on Ebay...whew...slipped that one... wink

At least I got it off of there. I have a new one so no big deal on destroying it. I got it off whole, so the heat must have helped to loosen any locker. You can see the cage started to pull up on one side. As I said, I have a replacement in the rebuild kit.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup