Originally Posted By: stock49
Here in Ohio we have a 10,000 pound GVW threshold - which demands a commercial truck plate (significantly higher fees - including a visit to the scales). Go above 26,000 pounds gross and one needs a CDL to drive it.

stock,

Missed that before I think, but in California we have to have a commercial plate on any truck in order to haul anything in the bed. Even my '46 is required to have a commercial plate in order to carry even a bag of groceries in the bed. Minimum is about $160/year nowadays for a commercial plate, I *think*, I'm sure they can find reasons to charge more, I don't want to inquire to them...LOL

EDIT: We also need a CDL over 26,000 but also need a commercial plate for a pickup.

As long as I stay within 10k on my flat bed, I am not required to pull into the scales. It's only when I have a trailer on the back of the flat bed that you are required to stop. I think it would be hard for them to determine if you were hauling 2500lb or 4000lb. to make you pull in...(my flat bed is 7500lb). The problem is I do need to use a trailer to get most of my machines up to the lake. blush

Last edited by TraditionalToolworks; 10/20/21 05:21 PM. Reason: CDL is required here also.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup