I was a previous Inliners Club Officer. At that time, the club was trying to ramp up efforts for recruiting new members. Since I had a marketing background and also being a published author, I was asked to create a template for the Chapters to have for ideas to recruit new people. There were quite a few Chapters that had very little activity and some that had never had a single gathering since that Chapter was formed or even knew who its members were.

The outline was simple and basic, but full of great ideas to create opportunities to reach out to the public in their respective areas to recruit. I even spoke to several of those Chapter heads and was met with, "Well, were just a bunch of old guys and can't do much, that should be some else's job!"

Other Chapters that did have occasional meetings some how thought they were part of some secret society, and didn't feel they needed to engage with the public when they were out in public as a group. Each member is part of a much larger machine, just like the website and all those parts need to work together to make the machine effective.

The forum isn't going to bring people to the Club. The individual members are often someone's first line of communication in public. As tlowe said, many often sit on their hands expecting or assuming its somebody else duty or responsibility to seek out and find new members. Unfortunately, that template was never presented to all the Chapters to my knowledge as a way to be more productive in recruiting. Some Chapters make a great presence in their communities, but most don't.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer