Feel free to flame me on this one. As some have seen in my previous posts, I have collected a lot of stuff for my future builds. I have 3 292s and 5 250s. I traded my 230 for a Ford 200 (I have a 60 Ranchero with a 144).

I have come to the conclusion that the 292, though it is a bigger and badder engine than the 250, has a very limited number of aftermarket parts and a smaller number of spare engines out in the gene pool. The performance parts are particularly expensive. Not so much for the 250 as we can steal some parts from it's cousins.

That being written, what I intend to do is spend my money on what will pay me back with the most performance and reliability for the least amount of money regarding the 292s. I have 1 65 C20 and 2 65 C10s these will go into. These will be street trucks.

A stock short block rebuild with a balance of the rotating assembly. Only bored if needed, same with any journals. Make the bottom end as smooth and as bulletproof as possible. A turbo or RV cam. The top end, I am probably keep stock as well to keep low end torque and fuel economy. Will mod the spring as needed. Clean up the ports and I may go to 1.84/1.60 valves, if costs permit. That's where stock-ish ends. I have a couple of SPA turbo manifolds and a GT45 turbo (and others). I have multiple intake options. So for more or less the cost of all the go fast parts specific to the 292. I can get a SPA turbo manifold and the turbo stuff (buy extras if you get parts from the bay) and make it go fast (and adjustably fast). Spend the other monies on long block reliability. If you have the time, desire, and money...add the expensive go fast internals later.

I think you mentioned you had been told, "Don't over think it". I agree. Make the build solid and long lasting then add a turbo or nitrous for times you need go fast. This is a street build correct? Just don't boost beyond the capabilities of stock components. Which is still pretty decent.

Regards,
Rick

Inliners #6543