Originally Posted by Beater of the Pack
The Studebaker is a '54 station wagon.
Oh, it's not a woodie is it? Study did make some woodies...slap me a surfboard that there and let's go on safari! I feel like I'm in high school again!

The part that needs to be cut is the tip of the input shaft that goes in the pilot bearing. Mine was 3/8". Since my bolt pattern didn't match I made an adapter from 3/8" plate and didn't trim it.
Yes, in fact this is why I said I don't know if I'll need to trim mine. My adapter plate that Dave Farwell made me should account for the difference. However, I'm not clean on the stickout, I need to measure to see. But mine might be different than the one from the '55. I will try to have it ready to swap in, but will measure mine when I pull the 3-speed out. Originally I was thinking I could use the 2 clutches I have if I was to use the 10 spline. That was my reasoning to ponder the 10 spline/21 tooth, but it's not going to work.

Mine has a mechanical speedo but the plastic gear either moved on the shaft or is slipping. Friend who built trannys helped build mine and did a WC upgrade.
What Dan has is a piece of spring metal that the end fits in the hold in the shaft, and it seems that all main shafts have this hole for the mechanical speedo, even the electric ones. But the tailshaft case is not so simple. I'm not exactly sure what he did, it's sealed up so you can't see. I'm pretty sure he does that on purpose, otherwise everyone would convert their own. I was really pleased with his work, he bead blasted the tailshaft and had it ready for clean/paint.

Do you just use an hoist when you do a rebuild? I wasn't sure if a engine stand was needed or not? I have a 2 ton gantry going in the new shop, with an electric hoist, so in the future that won't be an issue, but I do have a couple engine hoists. I was under the impression that most people removed the engines with a hoist and then moved them to a stand, some are pretty elaborate with water and power to test the engines. I know all that is not needed, but if I ever find a good deal on a lump I'd consider learning to rebuild it.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup