Rate Thread
#62747 01/20/11 10:24 PM
H
hunyuck Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Hello... I am in the process of modifying a `57 chevy. I do not wish to have a "in the weeds" car even if that is the current trend. To raise the rear I intend to weld new spring perches on the top of the rear axle housing as opposed to the bottom where they are originally. This will enable me to mount the rear end below the leafsprings instead of on top. The front on the other hand... I do not wish to use the "classic gasser" straight axle. Many years ago I remember someone using spindles from a 50`s or 60`s Chev or GMC 2wd pick-up and turning them upsides down and switching sides to side, and still have a functional suspension. Anyone hear of this or have any ideas?

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
The only time I tried your front end idea was on a 55 Ford. It dropped it on the ground.
If you want the "sky high" look, there are kits to install a straight axle.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Most spindles have some amount of camber in them, to obtain the correct amount of king pin inclination. This allows the tire contact patch to pivot around the axis of the king pin. Turning the spindles upside down will mess up your contact patch location and also give you a goofy camber measurement. I would look for another solution, like an early Econoline dropped I-beam axle or, as I am doing on my '30s era champ car, a '50s era Ford pickup beam axle.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
N
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
N
I've heard of using a later upright in a 48-52 car (53-54) but that was supposed to lower it.

My, what a steep learning curve. Erik II#5155
H
hunyuck Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Hey Frenchie, doncha mean caster? And the hypotheisis was that turning upside down and switching from side to side would give the correct caster but with added lift,like 4+ inches. And it was long ago when I was a kid, so maybe my memory is failing.

H
hunyuck Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Further thought revealed this suspension modification will not work as I wish to have disc brakes in the front. Kits for disc brakes can use the stock spindle or have spindles available that lower the vehicle... I haven`t seen any to raise a vehicle,has anybody else?

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I can remember using some Cal Custom ball joint spacers in the front of tri-five Chevys in the 60's to get the front end up and help with weight transfer. You might find some on EBay, I think they use them on some of the asian pieces of c+*p pickups to get the pre runner look.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
2 members (41 Coupe, stock49), 349 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available