Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
efi-diy Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
E
With 100's of different potential homes for the 4200 this will be a general guide.

The 4200 only came with the a 4l60E transmission from GM. So using that combination is the path of least resistance.

The best way to do a 4200 swap is to buy a running vehicle - one that came to an unplanned stop is perfect. This way you have all the parts needed and you can sawsall your way in.

The trailblazer/envoys came with a pretty good rear suspension that is mounted to a cradle - so its a potential swap.

Before disturbing the engine - do a oil flush on it - I use a qt. of kerosene - let it run for 10 - 15 min. drain it. Then put the drain plug in - pour another qt. of kerosene in, and let it sit for 10 mins, then drain the residuals out of the pan (use a different catch can so you can examine the drainings) - you will be surprise what comes out.
This will get the oil pan clean in case you need to do something with it.

Engine mounts

Engine mounts are either reuse all/part of the stock mounts and adapt the frame side to its new home, OR custom fab new mounts.

Exhaust system (passenger side)

The exhaust manifold is a fairly good design part and with a 3" exhaust behind it works well. Tom Langdon has done split exhaust manifolds for the 4200. If you have room and running a single pipe the stock muffler is the quietest one to use with the 4200.

Oil Pan

The stock pan is front sump pan that can cause interference problems - look in the 4200 parts posting for a rear sump pan if its needed. Alternative - modify the stock pan or whatever is in the way.

Drive by wire throttle

If you are going to keep the GM PCM then you MUST keep the drive by wire throttle plate and gas pedal.
Even if you build a custom intake manifold and run the GM PCM - you must use the drive by wire throttle plate and electric gas pedal.
The PCM will shut down and go into emergency mode if it does not see the wire throttle plate and electric gas pedal. IT will not allow the engine to run. An early attempt was made to eliminate it by Westers Garage and it failed.

The alternative is to run megasquirt - then you have full control over the engine an can run a cable throttle. But you have to be comfortable with wiring and tuning a EFI system.

GM PCM and harness

Look in the 4200 part post for Lime-swap, Jeremy does harness strips and PCM unlocks.

Transmissions

The 4L60E with a shift kit and some PCM tuning is not a bad choice if you want to run an automatic. This uses a TH350 type output slip yoke.

If you have a different transmission that bolted to a 194/292 or sbc then there is an adapter plate to allow these to bolt up - look in the 4200 parts posting. You will need a t/c spacer also - even if you decide to do a hack install and use a BOP trans and redrill the mount pattern.
When GM design the LS and atlas they shortened the crankshaft bolt flange stick out distance.

Manual transmission

MT flywheels are available - see the other posts (July 2020)

The bellhousing from a 2800/3500 atlas can be used to bolt up a trans out of a supra that is strong enough. Ask Lime-swap.

Fuel supply

The 04 up engines used a returnless fuel system.
2 choices - modify the firewall side of the fuel rail to add weld in block with a 1/4" NPT hole for a return line to an aftermarket regulator or run a close coupled (mounted within 12" of the fuel rail) external aftermarket regulator with a return line.

In either case you will need a high pressure (58 PSI for GM PCM systems - do not reference the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) to the intake manifold) fuel pump and regulator. For megasquirt - you can reference the FPR to the intake manifold and set the base fuel pressure to 43PSI.

I recommend where possible to run a pump in tank system as it cuts the pump noise out.

Several companies make adapters to convert the stock fuel rail inlet to a AN-6 male which allow use of aftermarket braided line for the fuel system.

Vehicle electrical connections

- gas pedal - if using the GM PCM
- constant +12V
- switch +12 V
- brake switch
- cruise control inputs to the PCM (if desired)
- electrical connection to the EFI fuel pump.
- engine OBD2 scanner plug
- check engine light
- ground

Gages

You can adapt either electrical or mechanical gages to the engine.

A/C delete

In some installations the stock AC compressor interferes with hard spots (e.g. frame) - it can be deleted along with an idler pulley and run a shorter belt.

Cooling

The coolant inlet is on the driver side of the engine.

You will need to run an electric cooling fan as the water pump is not on engine centerline.

Heater

The heater connections can be block off.

Last edited by efi-diy; 11/06/20 09:09 PM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Just thought I'd add to the information here. I just added some pics of my 4200 install over at Stovebolt.

Installing the Atlas in the factory location can be done with little modifications. This is how it currently sits in my AD truck.

Last edited by Whitedog; 01/15/19 04:08 PM.
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
You can see there is issues with the upper water neck and clearance. With a cuttoff wheel and a tig welder, the water neck can be remedied.

There's plenty of room to move the engine back still, but if you look at the top picture you'll see the proximity to the firewall. I don't have the intake on, but as you see in the top two pictures, there would be interferance with the firewall. The option here would to modify the firewall bump slightly for clearance. With that said, there wouldn't need to be any modifications to the water neck.

So, No 1- modify water neck or 2- modify firewall.

Hope this helps.

L
Contributor
Contributor
L
Great summary efi! On the return line, I normally encourage people to use a return rail from 2002. Saves the expense of purchasing an aftermarket regulator and it bolts in.

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I noticed LS swappers go with the Corvette C5 filter/regulator. Gives a fixed 58 psi and mounts easily enough. Would likely be fine on any of the returnless 4200's. Also affordable over the counter at any parts store.

C5 Fuel pressure regulator 58 PSI

Last edited by Cornchip; 02/13/19 11:15 PM.
Newcomer
Newcomer
beautiful!

huh?
Z
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Z
Just picked mine up, trying to put it on the stand but can't find the right bolts. Didn't buy mine with a trans.

What's the thread/pitch on the bellhousing bolts? I'm assuming it's metric, tried a 3/8-16 from an SBC and that wasn't happy after about 3 threads. Didn't want to push it.

EDIT: Looks like they're an M10x1.5, I used 70mm long bolts on my engine stand

Last edited by Ztarchitecht; 10/03/19 02:29 AM.
B
Newcomer
Newcomer
B
This is an excellent writeup! Not meaning to argue, but my 2004 Envoy donor had a fuel return setup, which I used successfully. 5/16" I believe. Was there a difference between sisters?

Last edited by BigRedL; 10/15/19 12:31 PM.
Z
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Z
Was 04 production year, or 05 model year, where that switch was made. Your 04 was most likely produced in late 2003 as a 2004 model year.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Was there a difference between sisters?"

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: Ztarchitecht
"Was there a difference between sisters?"

I read that to mean: was there a difference between an '04 Blazer and '04 Envoy beyond badging and trim?

Z
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Z
Engine/powertrain wise? I don't believe so.

A
Newcomer
Newcomer
A
The a/c compressor bolts were a perfect fit to put this on my engine stand.

Moderated by  efi-diy, stock49 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 161 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available